Thursday, 9 January 2014

Bout of Books 9.0 Read-a-Thon - January 9th

Pages read today: 23 pages of "Raven Flight" + 178 pages of "Sweet Tooth"
Total of pages read: 514 pages (313 + 201)
Books read today: "Raven Flight" and "Sweet Tooth"
Books read: "Sweet Tooth" by Ian McEwan


You must pick two books that you would recommend someone read together (like a double date!) and explain your reasons for the recommendation. You can recommend the books because they are in the same genre, one is a retelling of the other, they deal with the same issues, or maybe they're complete opposites, whatever you want as long as you can explain why they should be read together. Just one exception: they cannot be books from the same series.


 "Darkness Before Dawn" by J.A. London and "Fallen" by Lauren Kate. 
Read together because not only they have very similar covers - two beautiful covers - but they are also both Young Adult novels that talk about an impossible love that was meant to happen.


Just choose a novel from any genre, print or ebook, that you’re reading or have finished. I used Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison. Pick a number between 1 and 10, and you’re ready to start!
  1. Flip to a page at random. Using your trusty number (for example, let’s use 7) count down 7 lines. Then count in 7 words. Write that word down. Repeat this process until your have fourteen words. Here are my words: have, general, darkness, week, sit, all, do, because, my, the, secret, what? says.
  2. Delete two words and add in two words of your own. I deleted the words general and my. I added the words pause and then.
  3. Now arrange your words any way you like to finish your found poem. Here’s my poem:
All week sit, do, put, have—
Then pause because…
The secret darkness
Says what?

This challenge wasn't easy because I'm far away from being a poet. Today I finished reading "Sweet Tooth" by Ian McEwan, so choose it for this challenge. I used the number 7 because it's my lucky number. 

My words are: spoke, had, letters, it, mind, her, the, hundred, I, was, air, take, fingertips, floor. I deleted the words I and was and added blood and on

The poem doesn't make much sense - truth be told it doesn't make any sense. It was the best I could come up with.

Had floor blood,
Hundred letters on air,
The fingertips take it.
Her mind spoke.

2 comments:

  1. Darkness Before Dawn – thumbs up! Fallen – not so much. Ainda estou para ver se será mesmo este ano que irei ler o resto da trilogia do/a J. A. London, mas desisti do Fallen há imenso tempo… principalmente depois de ter lido várias opiniões onde diziam que Tormento era, de facto, um tormento de ler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved "Darkness Before Dawn"! <33 Espero que gostes da triologia tanto quanto eu gostei. É uma das minhas trilogia preferidas. Eu adorei "Fallen" (o primeiro livro, não a saga), mas os livros que seguiram desapontaram-me bastante - o último compensou, mas "Tormento", na minha experiência, é mesmo um tormento de ler!

      Delete