Thursday, 14 May 2015

Bout of Books 13 Read-a-Thon - May 14th

http://boutofbooks.blogspot.pt/
Pages read today: 174 pages of A Court of Thorns and Roses + 50 pages of Crimson Bound [ebook]
Total of pages read: 843 pages
Books read today: A Court of Thorns and Roses & Crimson Bound
Books read: Requiem by Lauren Oliver
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


"Share one book that you believe will be considered a classic in 100 years time. Simple? I do have a few caveats, the book must have been published in or after 2005 and you need to provide two reasons for why this book will be a classic." 

My first choice was Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier, but sadly it was first published in 2002. So, I picked another book of hers. And for your huge surprise, I chose Heart's Blood (2009). Not a surprise at all, I know. Now, into the reasons.

1) Juliet Marillier is the Queen. Her writing is simply beautiful. At least, one of her books will have to be considered a classic in 100 years. It will be very unfair - and sad - if her amazing stories fall into oblivion.

2) Fairy-tales are part of the classics. Who doesn't know the work of the Grimm brothers? Heart's Blood is a wonderful retelling of the classic tale Beauty and the Beast. It is one of the best retellings of this generation. As fairy-tales, a fairy-tale retelling should be also considered a classic. And there is no better choice than Heart's Blood.


2 comments

  1. Such a good point about fairytale retellings - I think they have a spot amongst classics, especially as they are currently so popular - I just hope they aren't held back by ignorant people thinking that they are not original enough - I think this genre can get itself apart. Thanks for partcipating in today's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the same as well. I find that a fairytale can be as original as the tale it's inspired by. I mean, the author picks details from the original tale (in Heart's Blood, the mirror, a curse..) and then writes his/her own story.

      Thank you for hosting it. :)

      Delete

On Instagram

© My Lovely Secret. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.