Tuesday, 4 August 2015

TTT. Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Remember when Top Ten Tuesday allowed everyone to choose their own topic? This was pretty much the topic I chose. But if you've been following me for some time now, you know how much I like talking about fairy-tale retellings - and if you've been following me for some time, you'll find this post repetitive. I'm sorry.

Well, there is nothing better than start participating again in this meme than by mentioning my favourite fairy-tale retellings.  


What do have in common the first three fairy-tale retellings? Yes, you're right: all of them are retellings of the tale Beauty and the Beast - as most of you already know, my favorite fairytale. Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier, as it's obvious is my favorite fairy-tale retelling of all time. Something you already know as well as I keep telling you to read it. But I've recently fall in love with A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. I read it during Bout of Books 13 and I loved how this retelling included fairies. I had high expectations for the book and I was so happy when it didn't disappoint me. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge is also one of my favorites. Beauty and the Beast mixed with Greek mythology? It's pretty obvious that I was going to love it. I'm a huge Greek mythology geek.  These three  may all be retellings of the same fairytale, but they are completely different. 

I've also read Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge during Bout of Books 13. It's only a novella, but I wish it was a novel. Hodge did such an amazing job retelling Cinderella's tale - she even used its dark side. I loved Maia. I must confess that it's my favorite work from the author. Cinder by Marissa Meyer is another retelling of Cinderella. This one is set on the future. Our Cinderella is known by Cinder and she is cyborg. So different from the usual fairy-tale retellings.

Back to Juliet Marillier. Do you know as I'm always saying that she's the Queen? That's because I pretty much adore everything she writes. Daughter of the Forest, part of the Sevenwaters trilogy, is a retelling loosely based on The Six Swans. It's incredible well-written. I must read its sequels very soon. Wildwood Dancing was the first book I read from Marillier. It's based on The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Also, it is set in 1500s Transylvania, which means the Night People were inspired by vampires. Dreamer's Pool is the first of a fantasy trilogy for adults. I can't tell you in which tale it's based on or I'll spoil it for you if you haven't read it yet - and if you haven't read it yet, you should read it as soon as possible. Just do it!

When I picked up this topic in May, I still had to read Thorn by Intisar Khanani. I was right when I said that I'd like it. It is based on The Goose Girl and it deserves every single good review (you can read mine here) that receives. Now, you all know I always cheat on TTT, right? My cheating book is the sequel of Dreamer's Pool, Tower of Thorns (which I already pre-ordered). Marillier wrote it, so I already know without a doubt that I'll love it. I'm suspicious about the tale its based on because of the cover (Rapunzel) but I'm not one hundred percent sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment