Tuesday, 8 March 2016

TTT. Ten Characters I Love to Hate and Hate to Love

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and the Bookish
Today's topic of TTT is Ten Characters Everyone Loves but I Just Don't Get or Ten Characters I Love but Others Seem to Dislike. Instead of choosing one of the topics, I'm doing both. 

Five Characters Everyone Loves but I Don't Get


Charley Davidson from Charley Davidson series. She's annoying as hell. She isn't funny. She's childish. Her behavior and silly remarks make me want to strangle her. Yet, most people think she is awesome and that she is super funny. Well, no matter how hard I try, I can't laugh at her jokes.

Gale Hawthorne from the Hunger Games series. Poor Gale who has to watch the girl he has a crush on kiss another guy during the Games... Seriously? With everything that was going on in the series, I never found the time to feel bad for Gale. I couldn't even see what other people see in him.

Rhysand from A Court of Thorns and Roses. I can't the see the appealing. I mean, he did help Feyre when she needed the most. But I don't understand why everyone is crazy about Rhysand and want him to be a love interest to Feyre. I'm super excited about A Court of Mist and Fury, but at the same time I'm dreading it because Rhysand will be all over the place and I'm afraid I'll dislike because he will ruin Feyre and Tamlin's love. Why try to ruin everything A Court of Thorns and Roses accomplished?

Ron Wesley from the Harry Potter series. This has nothing to do with me being pro Harry/Hermione. I liked Ron in the first three books - even when he and my favorite character, Hermione, were always bickering. But then Ron came across a jealous brat and I just wanted to put some sense in his head. I'm sure Harry would have changed places with him at any time - a loving family and not having someone trying to murder you every school year sounds pretty amazing.

Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series. He was bullied by James gang. He lost the love of his life. He treated badly Harry, the son of the love of his life. I don't hate Snape, but I don't understand all the love he receives. He did kind of redeem himself, but I find he is too adored for someone who behaved the way he did throughout the series.

Five Characters I Love but Others Seem to Dislike


Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey. Most people dislike Northanger Abbey because of its protagonist, Catherine. Her behavior is judged a lot. But her mind was influenced by Gothic novels and I laughed at some of her ideas. And let's face it, she has the mind/ideas of a reader. Are you telling me that after reading a mysterious book you never started imagining the same happening to you?

Cho Chang from the Harry Potter series. I think people are really unfair to Cho Chang. I found her adorable. Yes, she was jealous of Hermione, but who wouldn't be? Harry talked a lot about Hermione and he even said he had to finish their Valentine's date earlier to meet Hermione [see why I ship Harry/Hermione?]. Cho isn't the devil people make her. Her boyfriend was murdered. She wanted Voldemort dead. She returned to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts. She was a brave Ravenclaw.

Jericho Barrons from Fever Series. Yes, he's an idiot and most of his actions towards Mac go against my feminist side. However, then I remember when he painted Mac's toenails and how fun their bickering is, and I think I'd love a Jericho Barrons in my life. But, yeah, he is an asshole (excuse my language).

Laia from An Ember in the Ashes. I've read a lot of reviews trashing Laia because of her bad and irrational decisions. But I love her because she isn't your typical heroine. She has lost everyone and her brother is all she has left. Even though she is afraid, she tries to save him (which I don't think that is an irrational decision at all). She suffers at the hands of the Commander and she is manipulated by the rebels, but Laia never gives up. I can't hate a girl who goes through hell to save her brother.

Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye. When I started reading The Catcher in the Rye for a American Literature course back at university, I couldn't pass from the first chapters because Holden can be an annoying narrator. However, when I started realizing what he meant with his observations and who he was, I couldn't put it down. The grow-up world is phony! I guess the readers who can't stand Holden are the one who never went through a crisis of being afraid of growing up. By the last page of The Catcher in Rye, I understood I had a lot in common with Holden.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Charley Davidson series yet, but I am shocked to see it made someone's list this week! Everyone and their mama keeps telling me I need to read it and how much I will love Charley :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my opinion about Charley is very unpopular. I tried to like her, but I ended up finding Charley childish instead of funny. Maybe my sense of humor is awful...

      Happy readings! ;)

      Delete
  2. "I'm sure Harry would have changed places with him at any time - a loving family and not having someone trying to murder you every school year sounds pretty amazing." -- LOL! My TTT

    ReplyDelete