Pages

Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Review 14. Gracie's Song by Michelle Schlicher


Title: Gracie's Song
Author:
Publisher: Smashwords Edition
Published: March 11th 2016
Pages:
Ebook

"Everything can be undone." That's what someone tells Gracie Brannen, but she's doubtful. After graduation, she walked away from everyone she knew with barely a word. Ten years later, she's back. Even as familiar places and faces bring back old pain, Gracie finds hope in rebuilding old ties and forging new ones. Maybe everything can't be undone, but perhaps everything can be overcome.


Once a while there is a book that makes you think how life is never what you wish and how unpredictable it can be. Gracie’s Song is a beautiful story that shows life has bumps and is hurtful, but also that happiness is just around the corner. 

Plot: It has been ten years since Gracie Brannen left Glenwood, the small town where she grew up. She left everything and everyone she loved behind without a word. However, after the tragic news of her mother’s death, Gracie finds herself facing the memories of the life and the people she thought she had left behind for good.

Gracie's Song is a short heart-warming story. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, but the plot quickly grabbed my attention. I was feeling a reading slump approaching and I can say that Gracie's Song saved me from it because I couldn't put the book down. I wanted to know more about Gracie and her troubled past and about the people that surrounded her.

Michelle Schlicher writing is simple (not a bad thing). There is character development - which is done perfectly. How many writers can do it perfectly? The romance isn't overwhelming, but it's perfectly adorable (I think I may have a crush on Finn). How couldn't this book become one of my favourites?

Characters: The characters were brilliantly written (they all came across real) as well as the relationships between them. The relationship between Gracie and her sister and how they rebuilt it after ten years apart was very well written. Also, the relationship between Gracie and Finn was so pure (I'm lacking words to describe it). Even after ten years and a few relationships in-between, the two still had strong feelings for each other. And Finn is every girls' dream.

I loved Gracie, as I found her flawlessly imperfect. Everything about her was intriguing and mysterious. Slowly, her past is revealed in flashbacks - I really enjoyed how there were flashbacks from her childhood to her teenager years - and you get to know her and what she has been through. Gracie never became a sour person even if she had all the reasons to become. Her past was painful and although she had the love of her mother, her sister and Finn, she was screwed up (I apologized for my language) by her alcoholic father. I found myself wanting to hug Gracie so many times (especially when she finally revealed why she left Glenwood all those years ago).

Cons: The only thing I didn't like about this novel was its cover. Fell free, to call me shallow, but this cover... I wish I could use emoji to describe how much I dislike it. I think an attractive cover influences the reader to choose a book from a shelf and I confess that I’d never pick up this book because of its cover - which would be a shame, because it's such a great book.

I received this ARC from the author Michelle Schlicher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you. PS. I really love(d) this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment