Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Bout of Books 16 Read-a-Thon. May 11th


 Pages read today: 77 pages of The Forbidden Wish [ebook]
Total of pages read: 416 pages
Books read today: The Forbidden Wish
Books read: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

Challenge: 5 Favorites

"Everybody loves sharing favorites and now we're giving you free rein to do just that. Pick the topic of your choice and share your 5 favorite books that fit. Topics could be a favorite genre, a favorite trope, book boyfriends, or ANYTHING. There's no limit to where you can take this!"

If you have been following me for some time, it comes to no surprise the topic I chose: Favourite Fairytale Retellings


Heart's Blood, Juliet Marillier. This is my favourite fairytale retelling of all time. It made me fall in love with fairytale retellings. By now, you can tell how much I adore it because I'm always talking about it. I feel in love with Caitrin and Anluan's story and I'm sure you'll too if you haven't read it yet. 

Daughter of the Forest, Juliet Marillier. Part of the Sevenwaters trilogy, is a retelling loosely based on The Six Swans. It's incredible well-written. I feel very angry at myself because I haven't read its sequels (but I'll read them; I swear I will).

A Thousand Nights, E.K. Johnston. This retelling of One Thousand Nights is simply beautiful. There is something magical in E. K. Johnston writing that brings such a realness to the novel that you can put it down. 

Cruel Beauty, Rosamund Hodge. Beauty and the Beast mixed with Greek mythology? This retelling was written for me. I wasn't very fond of the ending, but  the story is very well written and Ignifex is an alluring character. 

Gilded Ashes, Rosamund Hodge. This one is only a novella, but I wish it was a novel. Hodge did such an amazing job retelling Cinderella's tale - she even used its dark side. I loved Maia. It's my favourite work from the author. 

2 comments:

  1. Cruel Beauty has been in my TBR for ages! I absolutely love fairytale retellings even in movies, yes I know, shocker huh? I think that's the only type of books made into a film that I like.

    My Bout of Books updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have an opportunity to read Cruel Beauty because it's a beautiful retelling. :) You aren't the only one who loves fairytale retellings. I love them so much!

      Happy readings! ;)

      Delete