Pages

Saturday, 31 December 2016

End of the Year Book Survey. 2016 Edition

This tag was created by @ThePerpeturalPageTurner. All images belong to her.
Today is the last day of 2016 and as I don't expect to finish reading another book before the year ends, I thought today would be a great day to share with you my answers to 2016 End of the Year Book Survey. Here it goes.


Number Of Books You Read: 56 books
Number of Re-Reads: 2 re-reads
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy (isn't it always?)


1. Best Book You Read In 2016? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist) Even if I broke it down by genre, I’d still be cheating because I don't think I can place A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir and Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo on different genres. Or can I?

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Sadly, I'll have to go with Seven Black Diamonds by Melissa Marr. Wicked Lovely is one of my favourite series, so I had to read Marr's new series. However, I felt so disappointed. I really thought I was going to love it.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Probably the same books answered on the first question. And, of course, it was in a good way.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? I keep telling people to read Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier. Now, if they read it or not, I've no clue. Ps. If you haven't read this book yet, you should add it to you 2017 TBR pile.

5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016? Best series I started this year was Six of Crows. Now, for best sequel I'll have to go with A Torch Against the Night. And, best series ender is Crooked Kingdom (no matter how much the last pages pages broke my heart).

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016? Without a doubt, Leigh Bardugo. She's now part of my top five favourite authors.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? As I've mentioned before, I don't usually read sci-fi. However, this year I read the Starbound trilogy and I loved This Shattered World. It made me realize I need to read more sci-fi. Any recommendations?

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? One thing I loved about Six of Crows was how action packed and full of twists and surprises it had.

9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Probably none. I don't usually re-read books (I know, some people think it's a waist of money to buy a book only read it once). Maybe I’ll revisit the Six of Crows world? But I know in 2018 I’ll be re-reading An Ember in the Ashes and A Torch Against the Night (which was read this year) because only then book number three will be released.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016? *goes to Goodreads* How can I choose? There were so many beautiful covers? *.*

11. Most memorable character of 2016? I could go with Elias but we first met in 2015 in An Ember in the Ashes. So, I'm going to go with Kaz Brekker (so disappointed Santa didn't leave him under my tree as I asked).

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016? It's between A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston and The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016? I'm so sorry, but I've no answer for this one. I probably read too much fantasy...

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? Can I really chose only one? Okay, then Six of Crows it's.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016? I'm sorry again, but I can't only choose one. Take a look at the reviews I wrote to see some of my favourite quotes/passages.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016? The longest book was Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. The shortest was The Shoemaker's Holiday by Thomas Dekker.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.) It's a tie between A Torch Against the Night and Crooked Kingdom.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

Elias & Laia from A Torch Against the Night [sequel of A Torch Against the Night]
Kaz & Inej from Six of Crows
Jubilee & Flynn from This Shattered World

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year. The relationship between the Dregs from Six of Crows duology.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously. Easy as pie, A Torch Against the Night. But if I had had time to read Den of Wolves by Juliet Marillier, it would be more difficult to find an answer.

21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure. I was recommended The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016? As I mentioned above, I was really hoping Santa would leave Kaz Brekker under my Christmas tree.

23. Best 2016 debut you read? Of all the debuts I read, I think The Star-Touched Queen was the best.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Why can I always only choose one? I'm sorry, but I'll once again refuse to answer. I mean, how can I choose between A Torch Against the Night and Six or Crows? Or between The Star-Touched Queen and A Thousand Nights? Or This Shattered World?

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? There is only one book that fits this category: A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall. It seems I rarely read happy/funny books. This cute contemporary told is many different voices is the closes thing I've to book that put a smile on my face or was fund to read.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016? Confession time: books don't make me cry. No matter how emotionally invested I'm on a story, I don't cry. I mean, I should have cried with Crooked Kingdom and I didn't (but I guess it was kind spoiled to me by the own author, so the scene didn't have the same impact).

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? I can't believe how much I loved The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury. I had no expectations and it ended up being a great retelling.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? How can a book crush my soul the way A Torch Against the Night did? [SPOILERS! Elias encounter with death and the moment I thought my ship would sink... And that ending? Why is 2018 so far away?!]

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016? What do you mean by unique? Because if I think about an unique world, I have to go with The Star-Touched Queen. But, if it is about how unique the book was in terms of construction, maybe it's Illuminae.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Red Queen because of Mare. I can't understand how many people love this book when the main character is so annoying. I just wish Mare had been less childish. At the end, I asked myself if she had even learned a lesson.


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017? I've been trying to read The Name of the Wind for a long time now. Hopefully 2017 will be the year I finally read it.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)? A Beauty and the Beast retelling, Hunted by Meagan Spooner.

3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? I think it's a debut novel, Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belezza.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017? No matter how I'm sure Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han will broken my heart, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017? I hope I meet and connect with more book bloggers. I really try to meet new people, but I find the book community very closed. It's a nice and sweet community, but it's like there is a circle and unless you receive ARCs it seems impossible to join in. Also, I hope to finally read 70 books.

6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone. Sadly, I don't receive ARCs (not only I've a low number of followers, but also I live outside US and UK - publishers needs to realize international people buy their books and have no perks). So, I can't recommend any book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment